Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Cheers to a new year and another chance for us to get it right!

Hello everyone,

I can't take credit for my title. I heard it this week and it was attributed to Oprah, but I love every new year and I remain optimistic that each new year I'll do a little better.

What an interesting holiday season this has been! Snow kept us in for many days, so we have enjoyed more than our usual share of games, movies, and home-cooked meals. Hey, it's been cheaper than usual, too. We've had a great time together!

It all started on Wednesday, Dec. 17 with our no-snow snow day! The predicted snow did not arrive and I should have spent the day at school (even teachers don't want to go to school on a snow day). I did spend the day grading journals at home and made a quick trip to downtown Seattle with our friends, the Ormes. The snow started Thursday, continued Friday (friends picked Blake up at the airport that night), continued Saturday (Blake and Lance had a good trip to the airport to pick up Sara and an interesting ride back home. Since I-5 was closed, they were diverted to 99 and ended up in downtown Seattle navigating the hills in order to get to I-90). We've missed the Highlander, our 4 WD vehicle which now resides in UT!

By sometime Sunday, we had 11 inches of snow and we were basically trapped at home until the 26th when we finally ventured out again. The Camerons picked us up for church, Sherm Bigelow took us to the grocery store, and Jan Orme took Blake and me to the Eastside for some shopping on Christmas Eve. Sara went to the Seiberts for a sleepover, but Lance won our award for being housebound from Sunday the 21st until Friday the 26th. He was very glad to go back to work!

Our three elders joined us for brunch and their phone calls home on Christmas morning. We had friends over to play games on Sat. and Sun. evenings.

Blake and Sara head back to school tomorrow. Sara needs to get settled in her new apartment and they've been on the phone with friends making plans. We've almost finished packing up the Christmas decorations. I don't like to do this until New Year's Day or later. However, since Sara leaves New Year's Day, I opted for doing it earlier and having her help.

I was reading some articles on Meridian this morning liked a quote from a talk by Spencer W. Kimball. Here's a quote that I loved from the article:

"Let us “be of good cheer” (D&C 78:18), for the Lord will, as he has promised, lead us along and show us the way. He will help us as we decide from day to day on the allocation of our time and talent. We will move faster if we hurry less. We will make more real progress if we focus on the fundamentals. We will even come to know more as we serve more, for as we learn to bear more we are made ready to hear more (see John 16:12 and Mark 4:33)."

I love this counsel: Hurry less, focus on the fundamentals, and serve more!

You can access the entire talk (it's a keeper) by going to the May 1979 Ensign - Spencer W. Kimball, “Let Us Move Forward and Upward,” Ensign, May 1979, 82.

Happy New Year and let's try to do a better job of posting to our blog in 2009!

Love,
The Behnke Bunch - Ramona, Lance, Blake, and Sara

No comments: